This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
These blonde brownies (also called blondies) are chewy on the inside with the perfect crinkle top. They're full of gooey chocolate chips and are made with just 8 ingredients, one bowl, and no mixer required!
This recipe was originally published in November 2020. It has been updated with new photos, detailed instructions, and a step-by-step-video.
Although I LOVE a good fudgy chocolate brownie, these blonde brownies make me want to sing from the rooftops. Whether you're an edge piece person, middle piece person, or a corner piece person, these blondies will make you do a happy dance.
You can use white chocolate chips in the chocolate chip blondies, or you can enjoy them plain - they're delicious either way! If you're looking for a small batch version of this recipe, be sure to check out my small batch blondies!
Why You'll Love These Blonde Brownies
- These chewy blondies are quick and easy to make. They're done in under 40 minutes from start to finish!
- This recipe uses just 8 ingredients, one bowl bowl, a whisk, and a well greased baking pan. No mixer needed!
- You can make these blondies with dairy ingredients, or you can make them completely dairy free!
- If you love the texture of brownies - look no further: these have that same fudgy gooey texture!
- Butter: you can use regular butter or dairy free butter. This recipe has been tested both ways!
- Chopped Chocolate: Feel free to use chopped semisweet chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips. You can also use white chocolate chips (use vegan white chocolate chips if you are making this recipe dairy free).
- Flour: I’ve tested this recipe with all purpose flour. If you need to make this recipe gluten free, then you can try using gluten free 1-1 all purpose baking flour.
- Vanilla Extract: If possible, I recommend using real vanilla extract, since it gives the blondies a wonderful vanilla flavor.
Step By Step Instructions
Step One: Preheat the oven to 350° Farenheit and line an 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper.
In a microwave safe mixing bowl, melt the butter. Add both sugars to the bowl and whisk for a few minutes until the texture resembles a paste and pulls away from the side of the bowl.
Step Two: Add in the egg and vanilla extract and continue whisking.
Step Three: Add in the flour and salt and gently mix until the dry ingredients are just incorporated. Be careful not to over-mix, as this will affect the texture of the blondies! Carefully fold in the chocolate and pour the batter into the baking pan.
Step Four: Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick in the middle comes out almost clean. There shouldn't be any wet batter on it, but there may be a few wet crumbs. This means they are ready! Let the blondies cool completely before slicing.
FAQs and Expert Tips
Although you may be thinking "aren't blondies just cookie bars?", there is a difference!
Blondies are exactly like brownies, except without the cocoa powder or melted chocolate in the batter. Good chewy blondies have that gooey, soft texture that a brownie has, with the same crinkly top but with richer vanilla and brown sugar flavours.
Blondies are typically sweeter than brownies, even though they use the same amount of sugar, because there isn't any chocolate to cut the sweetness.
So, when I made these dairy free blondies I decided to add in some chopped dark chocolate to perfectly balance out the sweetness. The result was amazing.
If you prefer to use white chocolate chips then you absolutely can! You can also leave the chocolate out entirely if you love a really sweet, classic blonde brownie!
Yes! These chocolate chunk blondies work great with any kind of butter, so if you aren't dairy free you can absolutely use regular butter or margarine.
- Prepare your baking pan properly: Line the baking pan with parchment paper so that the blondies don't stick to the bottom! If you skip this step, you'll likely end up with a mess and pieces of blondie will stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Properly measure your flour - I strongly recommend using a $15 kitchen scale to weigh your dry ingredients. If you aren't using a scale, use the scoop and level method.
- Do not over-mix: The batter only needs to be mixed until the dry ingredients are just combined. This is key because over mixing will significantly change the texture of the blondies!
- Don’t over-bake: In my oven, these blondies are done in 27-30 minutes. But your oven will be different, so it's important to keep checking on them every few minutes after the 25 minute mark! The blonde brownies are ready when the top is crinkly and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean.
- Let them cool completely before slicing- I know it's hard to wait - but if you try to remove the blonde brownies from the pan or slice them too early you'll have a gooey mess. The blondies will continue to firm up in the pan once you've removed them from the oven.
Storage and Freezing Instructions
These blonde brownies should be stored in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days. They also freeze wonderfully!
To freeze them, wrap the blondies in plastic wrap (tightly) then in tin foil, then place in an airtight freezer bag and freeze for 1-2 months. Let them thaw on the counter.
More Blondie Recipes You'll Love
If you make this recipe, let me know how it went in the comments below, I’d love to hear from you! You can also tag me on Instagram or Facebook so I can check it out!
Chocolate Chunk Blondies
- ¾ cup butter (vegan or regular), melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped dark chocolate (dairy free or regular)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 square baking pan with parchment paper. Leave parchment paper hanging over the sides of the pan so that you can easily remove the blondies from the pan later.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or in a small pan over the stove. Transfer the melted butter to a medium sized bowl.
- Add in both the sugars and use a whisk to whisk the butter and sugars together. Keep whisking until the mixture resembles a paste that pulls away cleanly from the side of the bowl when you mix it.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again.
- Pour the flour and salt into the bowl and mix with the whisk until just combined (it should only take about a minute). This is important, because over-mixing at this stage will affect the texture of the blondies!
- Gently fold in the chopped chocolate until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the lined baking pan using a spatula to scrape all the batter out of the bowl.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes. The top of the blondies should be crinkly and when you insert a toothpick in the middle the toothpick should not come out clean. The blondies are ready when the toothpick has a few wet crumbs, but not wet batter.
- Let the blondies cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!
The calorie information provided for this recipe is an estimate. The accuracy of the calories listed is not guaranteed.
Tasted so good definitely recommend to anyone who has a sweet tooth or fancies a sweet treat, my family loved it and I will 100% try some of the other recipes and may I add they are so fun to make !
So glad you loved them Alex!
It was the most delicious sweet iv ever made so easy and tasty thx a lot
So happy you loved the blondies!
AMAZING! I made this gluten-free with Bob's Red Mill and xantham gum. I served them at our weekly game night. They were a huge hit and very well received. I left with an empty pan!
So happy to hear that they worked with the GF substitution! Thanks so much for the review!
I hve been searching for the best blondies recipe and this is the best one I hve tried and my absolute go to everyone loves it including the kids can’t even fault it as it’s simply the best can’t wait to try all your other
I'm so happy to hear that! thank you for the review!