This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
These blonde brownies (also called blondies) are chewy on the inside with the perfect crinkle top. They're full of gooey chocolate chips and are made with just 8 ingredients, one bowl, and no mixer required!
This recipe was originally published in November 2020. It has been updated with new photos, detailed instructions, and a step-by-step-video.
Although I LOVE a good fudgy chocolate brownie, these blonde brownies make me want to sing from the rooftops. Whether you're an edge piece person, middle piece person, or a corner piece person, these blondies will make you do a happy dance.
You can use white chocolate chips in the chocolate chip blondies, or you can enjoy them plain - they're delicious either way! If you're looking for a small batch version of this recipe, be sure to check out my small batch blondies!
Why You'll Love These Blonde Brownies
- These chewy blondies are quick and easy to make. They're done in under 40 minutes from start to finish!
- This recipe uses just 8 ingredients, one bowl bowl, a whisk, and a well greased baking pan. No mixer needed!
- You can make these blondies with dairy ingredients, or you can make them completely dairy free!
- If you love the texture of brownies - look no further: these have that same fudgy gooey texture!
- Butter: you can use regular butter or dairy free butter. This recipe has been tested both ways!
- Chopped Chocolate: Feel free to use chopped semisweet chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips. You can also use white chocolate chips (use vegan white chocolate chips if you are making this recipe dairy free).
- Flour: I’ve tested this recipe with all purpose flour. If you need to make this recipe gluten free, then you can try using gluten free 1-1 all purpose baking flour.
- Vanilla Extract: If possible, I recommend using real vanilla extract, since it gives the blondies a wonderful vanilla flavor.
Step By Step Instructions
Step One: Preheat the oven to 350° Farenheit and line an 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper.
In a microwave safe mixing bowl, melt the butter. Add both sugars to the bowl and whisk for a few minutes until the texture resembles a paste and pulls away from the side of the bowl.
Step Two: Add in the egg and vanilla extract and continue whisking.
Step Three: Add in the flour and salt and gently mix until the dry ingredients are just incorporated. Be careful not to over-mix, as this will affect the texture of the blondies! Carefully fold in the chocolate and pour the batter into the baking pan.
Step Four: Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick in the middle comes out almost clean. There shouldn't be any wet batter on it, but there may be a few wet crumbs. This means they are ready! Let the blondies cool completely before slicing.
FAQs and Expert Tips
Although you may be thinking "aren't blondies just cookie bars?", there is a difference!
Blondies are exactly like brownies, except without the cocoa powder or melted chocolate in the batter. Good chewy blondies have that gooey, soft texture that a brownie has, with the same crinkly top but with richer vanilla and brown sugar flavours.
Blondies are typically sweeter than brownies, even though they use the same amount of sugar, because there isn't any chocolate to cut the sweetness.
So, when I made these dairy free blondies I decided to add in some chopped dark chocolate to perfectly balance out the sweetness. The result was amazing.
If you prefer to use white chocolate chips then you absolutely can! You can also leave the chocolate out entirely if you love a really sweet, classic blonde brownie!
Yes! These chocolate chunk blondies work great with any kind of butter, so if you aren't dairy free you can absolutely use regular butter or margarine.
- Prepare your baking pan properly: Line the baking pan with parchment paper so that the blondies don't stick to the bottom! If you skip this step, you'll likely end up with a mess and pieces of blondie will stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Properly measure your flour - I strongly recommend using a $15 kitchen scale to weigh your dry ingredients. If you aren't using a scale, use the scoop and level method.
- Do not over-mix: The batter only needs to be mixed until the dry ingredients are just combined. This is key because over mixing will significantly change the texture of the blondies!
- Don’t over-bake: In my oven, these blondies are done in 27-30 minutes. But your oven will be different, so it's important to keep checking on them every few minutes after the 25 minute mark! The blonde brownies are ready when the top is crinkly and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out almost clean.
- Let them cool completely before slicing- I know it's hard to wait - but if you try to remove the blonde brownies from the pan or slice them too early you'll have a gooey mess. The blondies will continue to firm up in the pan once you've removed them from the oven.
Storage and Freezing Instructions
These blonde brownies should be stored in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days. They also freeze wonderfully!
To freeze them, wrap the blondies in plastic wrap (tightly) then in tin foil, then place in an airtight freezer bag and freeze for 1-2 months. Let them thaw on the counter.
More Blondie Recipes You'll Love
If you make this recipe, let me know how it went in the comments below, I’d love to hear from you! You can also tag me on Instagram or Facebook so I can check it out!
Chocolate Chunk Blondies
- ¾ cup butter (vegan or regular), melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup chopped dark chocolate (dairy free or regular)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line an 8×8 square baking pan with parchment paper. Leave parchment paper hanging over the sides of the pan so that you can easily remove the blondies from the pan later.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or in a small pan over the stove. Transfer the melted butter to a medium sized bowl.
- Add in both the sugars and use a whisk to whisk the butter and sugars together. Keep whisking until the mixture resembles a paste that pulls away cleanly from the side of the bowl when you mix it.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix again.
- Pour the flour and salt into the bowl and mix with the whisk until just combined (it should only take about a minute). This is important, because over-mixing at this stage will affect the texture of the blondies!
- Gently fold in the chopped chocolate until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the lined baking pan using a spatula to scrape all the batter out of the bowl.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes. The top of the blondies should be crinkly and when you insert a toothpick in the middle the toothpick should not come out clean. The blondies are ready when the toothpick has a few wet crumbs, but not wet batter.
- Let the blondies cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!
The calorie information provided for this recipe is an estimate. The accuracy of the calories listed is not guaranteed.
I loved this recipe and came out perfect! Easy to make. I followed all the steps. Additionally, I made sure that the butter cooled off after melting it and my eggs were at room temperature.
Hi Rona! I am so happy to hear that you loved the blondies so much! Thanks for the review!
I have been looking for the perfect blondie recipe for what feels like forever! Thankfully, my search for the perfect recipe has come to an end! Look no further- THIS is THE PERFECT blondie recipe I have ever discovered!! The perfect balance of consistency; with a chewy center and crispy edges, it can be addicting!! My family finished these within the first day of me making them!! We loved them so much, I made a second batch the day after!! Definitely give this a try, however, BE ADVISED... THESE ARE ADDICTING ?
I am so happy to hear this! What a wonderful review, this made my day 🙂
It tastes amazing! However my batter wasn't so runny. It was quite thick and I had to spread it out with my spatula. Why do you think that happened?
I'm so happy to hear that you loved the blondies! If the batter was too thick there may have been a touch too much flour, but if the end result still worked out then that's fine!
I made this last night and they were so easy and delicious!! Definitely a keeper of a recipe and one I’ll be making again for sure 🙂
I'm so happy that you loved them Lisa! Thanks so much for the review 😀
What is the substitute for eggs ?
This looks so delicious 😛
As I'm not american (French) can I rely on the metric sytsem conversion ?
Thank you so much
Hi! Yes, the metric system is always the most accurate 🙂 Enjoy!
These are dangerous and very delicious??
Hi Kristina! I'm so happy you loved them so much!
These are extremely addicting omg
Hi Ravy! So glad you loved them!! 🙂
Hello, can this recipe be doubled? Can you tell me how long should they bake if doubled in aluminum pan. If I use 8x8 pan, I would get about 9 blondies. The recipe states you can get 16 blondies in an 8x8 pan, but those would be too small for what I would want to serve. Thank you
Hi! You can double the recipe yes - you would use a 9x13 pan and keep a close eye on the bake time. Enjoy!
So easy and delicious!! Thank-you!
Hi Linda! I'm so happy you loved the blondies! Thanks for the review 🙂
I saw this recipe online and I knew I wanted to Trainer that! The Brownies turnend out so good! Honestly I think that was the best batch of Brownies I ever did.
The recipe was really easy to follow and I will be using ist again!
Hi Saskia! I am so happy you loved the blondies! Thanks so much for the review!
Your recipe is a keeper . No words to describe how easy it was to make this recipe . I got perfect crinkle top and the taste was just amazing . Thank u once again for making our work easy . Developing recipe is not easy . Thank u so much once again .
Hi! I am so happy you loved the blondies, thanks for the review!
3/4 cup of which sugar was reduced please specify
Hi Maru - the amounts of each sugar are specific in the ingredient quantities above. Enjoy!
Can you use normal brown sugar instead of light brown sugar?
Hi Alice, that will be fine yes!
Hello! I’m using metric and wondering if you have these measurements in metric like the ones in your Dairy Free Brownies recipe? Having a hard time trying to convert especially the flour in cups to metric because every Google site gave a difference amount. Can’t wait to try these blondes! Much appreciated! Thanks!
Hi Sheryl! The metric measurements should be visible now! Enjoy! 🙂
my new go-to blondie recipe! so easy and the directions were simple.
Hi Madison! I'm so happy that you loved the recipe! Thanks for leaving a review!
This blondie recipe was a game changer. I crave these on a daily basis now! So simple and so quick! Everyone needs this is their recipe book.
Hi Adrienne! I crave them daily too 😉 I'm so happy to hear that you loved the blondies! Thank you so much for trying them out!
I have tried this recipe and my family love it so much. Gonna make it again soon! ?
I am so happy to hear that Ann! Thanks for the review!