This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
These soft and gooey chocolate marshmallow cookies are ready in 25 minutes and there’s no chill time required! These melt in your mouth chocolate cookies are loaded up with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips.
Marshmallows and chocolate feels like such a wintery flavor combination to me, just like a mug of hot chocolate! These marshmallow cookies get a double dose of chocolate thanks to cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
Mini marshmallows are folded into the cookie dough, plus the extra marshmallows on top of each cookie get slightly toasty while baking, like a roasted marshmallow!
If you want to make these chocolate marshmallow cookies vegan or egg free, you can use my vegan double chocolate chip cookie recipe and use vegan marshmallows!
Why You'll Love These Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
- These marshmallow cookies only take 25 minutes to make and don’t require any chilling, so they’re perfect if you need a sweet treat asap!
- The cookies are topped with extra mini marshmallows just before baking, giving you the perfect roasted marshmallow taste.
- These chocolate marshmallow cookies have a double whammy of chocolate thanks to cocoa powder and chocolate chips.
- This recipe uses simple pantry ingredients that you probably already have at home.
- You can easily make this recipe vegan or dairy free!
- Flour: I’m using all purpose flour in this chocolate marshmallow cookie recipe. If you need it to be gluten free, you can use an equal amount of gluten free all purpose 1-1 baking flour.
- Butter: you can use regular butter or vegan butter.
- Cocoa Powder: I recommend using unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Mini Marshmallows: if you don’t have any mini marshmallows on hand you can chop up large marshmallows!
- Chocolate Chips: make sure to use vegan chocolate chips if you’d like the cookies to be dairy free. You can also chop up a chocolate bar or use white chocolate chips! Feel free to leave out the chocolate chips if you don’t want them or don’t have any on hand.
Step By Step Instructions
Note: Full ingredient measurements and instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350°Fahrenheit and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
Step 2: In a large bowl with a handheld electric mixer, or in a stand mixer, beat the softened butter with the sugar and light brown sugar for 1-2 minutes. It should be light and fluffy.
Add the egg and vanilla extract and combine.
Step 3: Add the flour, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder and mix until just combined. Stir in your chocolate chips and mini marshmallows.
Step 4: Scoop out 2 tablespoons of dough and roll it into a ball. Place on the baking sheet and repeat with the remaining cookie dough, making sure they are around 3 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
Press a few extra mini marshmallows and chocolate chips on top of each cookie dough ball to get that bakery style cookie!
Step 5: Bake one tray at a time for 8-10 minutes. The edges should be set and the marshmallows on top will be slightly toasted.
Let the chocolate marshmallow cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, then place on a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
FAQs and Expert Tips
Yes! You can easily make these marshmallow cookies vegan by following this recipe and using vegan mini marshmallows.
You definitely can. Once you’ve rolled the cookie dough into balls, place on a baking sheet into your freezer until the cookie dough is almost frozen.
Take the baking sheet out and then place all the cookie dough balls in a ziploc bag and store in the freezer. You may need to add an extra minute or two to the baking time! You can also freeze the baked cookies in a ziploc freezer bag.
You can still use regular marshmallows if you don’t have mini marshmallows, you’ll just want to chop them up first.
Can I use marshmallow fluff instead of marshmallows?
I haven’t tested this recipe with marshmallow fluff so I don’t recommend it!
Nope! This recipe was tested with just unsweetened natural cocoa powder.
Dutch process cocoa powder is alkaline while natural cocoa powder is acidic, and you need the acidity from the natural cocoa powder to react with the baking soda!
Not sure if your cocoa powder in the pantry is Dutch processed or not? Check the ingredients! If it’s Dutch processed it will mention alkali or acidity regulators in the ingredients list.
- Be sure to properly measure your flour: Measure your flour using either a kitchen scale or the scoop and level method. Using too much flour will make your cookies dry!
- Don’t forget to add mini marshmallows on top: to get that bakery style cookie, make sure to add mini marshmallows (and extra chocolate chips!) on top of each cookie ball before baking. Those extra marshmallows on top will get toasty in the oven, giving you that delicious marshmallow roasted over a fire taste!
- Avoid over-mixing: Once you begin to add the dry ingredients, you don’t want to over-mix the cookie dough. This will give you a dry and tough cookie.
Storage and Freezing Instructions
These cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4-5 days.
You can also freeze the cookie dough. After step 4, place the cookie balls on a baking sheet and place in the freezer until frozen. Take the sheet out and store the frozen cookie dough balls in a freezer container or a ziploc bag. Bake as instructed!
You can also freeze the baked cookies in a ziploc freezer bag once they have cooled.
More Cookie Recipes You'll Love
If you make this recipe, let me know how it went in the comments below, I’d love to hear from you! You can also tag me on Instagram or Facebook so I can check it out!
Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
- ½ cup butter, softened (regular or vegan)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup mini marshmallows (plus more for topping)
- ⅓-½ cup semisweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (regular or vegan)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a handheld mixer or standing mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy (around 1-2 minutes). Add in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Add in the flour, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Roll the dough into 2 tablespoon sized balls and place on the baking sheet around 3 inches apart. Press a few extra chocolate chips and marshmallows into the tops of the dough.
- Bake one tray at a time for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are set. Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
The calorie information provided for this recipe is an estimate. The accuracy of the calories listed is not guaranteed.
[As someone said too] I was looking for a recipe so I could use the marshmallows I had left and came across this recipe. I made these last night and will be making more tonight. Thank you!! They are incredibly delicious!!
Yay I am so thrilled that you loved them!
These cookies are delicious!! I was trying to find a recipe that I could use my leftover marshmallows & this was it! Thank u!!
Hi Linda! I am so glad you loved the cookies! Thanks for the review!
These were to die for!!
Hi Colleen! So happy to hear that you loved the cookies!
These might be the best cookies I've ever made - my husband said the same! Will be keeping this thank you!
Hi Aimee! I am so happy to hear that you both loved them! Thanks so much for the review!
An these be made in a smaller 1" ball.?
Hi Paula! You can make these smaller yes but you'll need to adjust baking time as they will bake faster. Enjoy!
One of the best cookies I've made. So delicious, satisfying, chocolaty. Used vegan marshmallows. I thought the marshmallows would make them too sweet but it was a perfect balance of flavors.
Hi Ella! I am so happy you loved the cookies so much and that they turned out well with the vegan marshmallows, yay!