This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
These strawberry rice krispie treats are packed with natural strawberry flavor! Plus, you can make these homemade pink rice krispie treats with just 5 ingredients. I know that these treats are sure to be a family favorite.
Rice krispie treats are always such a fun dessert to whip up in the kitchen, especially if you don’t feel like turning on the oven! Based on my chocolate covered rice krispie treat recipe, these strawberry rice krispie treats are naturally flavored thanks to freeze dried strawberries!
These gooey rice krispie squares are perfect for bake sales, potlucks, lunch boxes or as an afternoon snack. And since they’re naturally pink, they’re perfect to make as Valentine’s Day rice krispie treats!
Why You'll Love These Strawberry Rice Krispie Treats
- This is a fun twist on a classic dessert!
- You only need 5 simple ingredients.
- The rice krispie treats are naturally flavored thanks to freeze-dried strawberries.
- They’re perfect for people with food allergies since you can easily make them gluten-free and dairy-free.
- Rice Krispies: you can use any brand of rice crispy cereal. If you’re gluten free make sure to use a gluten-free version!
- Marshmallows: I prefer to use mini marshmallows since they melt faster, but you can use regular marshmallows too.
- Butter: feel free to use regular butter or dairy free butter.
- Freeze-Dried Strawberries: You can find these in grocery stores or at Trader Joe’s. I don’t recommend using fresh strawberries!
Step by Step Instructions
Note: Full ingredient measurements and instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Step 1: Line an 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside. Use a food processor or blender to grind ¾ cup of freeze-dried strawberries until you have a fine powder. Chop the remaining ¼ cup up and set aside.
Step 2: In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
Step 3: Add 6 cups of the mini marshmallows (leaving 1 cup to the side) and stir with the melted butter. Stir until the marshmallows have melted.
Step 4: Remove the pot from the heat and add in the vanilla extract and the ground up strawberries. Stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
Step 5: Pour in the rice krispie cereal, the remaining cup of marshmallows and the chopped up freeze-dried strawberries. Stir quickly until combined.
Step 6: Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and use a greased spatula or your hands to gently press down into an even layer. Press more freeze dried strawberries on top or add a drizzle of melted chocolate. Let set completely before slicing.
FAQs and Expert Tips
I don’t recommend using fresh strawberries as it will completely change the texture of the treats.
I love using mini marshmallows because they melt down faster, but you can use regular sized marshmallows if that’s what you have on hand. For the remaining 1 cup of marshmallows that are stirred in, you’ll want to cut them up into smaller pieces.
You may have pressed the mixture down too hard, or used old or stale marshmallows.
- Get chocolate covered strawberry vibes by adding a drizzle of melted chocolate on top of these strawberry rice krispie treats! You can also drizzle over white chocolate.
- Double up the recipe and use a 9x13 baking pan if you want to make a big batch for a crowd.
- Don’t press down too hard on the rice krispie mixture, if you do that the treats will get hard and dense.
- Melt the marshmallows on medium low heat, otherwise, you might burn the marshmallows.
- Don’t forget to keep 1 cup of the mini marshmallows and a ¼ cup of chopped freeze-dried strawberries to the side to add in at the end!
Storage and Freezing Instructions
Store the rice krispie treats in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
More Rice Krispie Recipes You'll Love
Strawberry Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 large pot
- 1 8x8 square baking pan or 9x9 square baking pan
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add 6 cups of marshmallows (leaving one cup to the side!) and stir with the melted butter until the marshmallows have melted.
- Remove from the heat and add in the vanilla extract and the ground up strawberries (leave the chopped strawberries to the side for now). Stir with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Add in the rice krispie cereal, remaining cup of marshmallows, and the chopped freeze dried strawberries. Stir quickly until fully combined.
- Pour the rice krispie mixture into your lined pan and use a greased spatula or your hands to gently press the mixture down into an even layer. Press more freeze dried strawberries into the top of the treats, or add a drizzle of chocolate. Let them set completely, then slice and enjoy!
The calorie information provided for this recipe is an estimate. The accuracy of the calories listed is not guaranteed.