This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
These gooey chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats are the perfect no bake treat! They’re ready in 30 minutes and require just 5 ingredients. This quick and easy recipe is always a crowd pleaser!
These classic rice krispies treats are so nostalgic, they remind me of childhood! Homemade chocolate peanut butter rice krispie treats are gooey and crunchy - the best combination!
No bake recipes are some of my favorites to whip up at home in a flash, like these no bake cookie dough bars and my vegan reeses peanut butter cups.
I love making these peanut butter rice krispie treats for potlucks, bake sales, and guests too!
Why You'll Love These Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- You only need 5 simple ingredients to make these rice krispie treats!
- They’re ready in 30 minutes plus no baking involved.
- You can easily make these gluten free by using gluten free rice cereal, so they’re perfect for those with food allergies!
- You'll add extra marshmallows and chocolate chips into the bars so they’re extra gooey.
- Mini Marshmallows: I’ve used mini marshmallows here as they’ll melt quickly, however you can use regular marshmallows in a pinch.
- Peanut ButteR: feel free to use either regular commercial peanut butter (like Jiff) or natural peanut butter.
- Butter: you can use regular butter or vegan butter if you prefer!
- Rice Krispies Cereal: This can be found in most grocery stores!
- Mini Chocolate Chips: using mini chips means you get chocolate in every bite! You can use regular mini chocolate chips or vegan ones.
Step By Step Instructions
Note: Full ingredient measurements and instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Step 1: Grease an 8x8 or 9x9 square pan and set aside. In a large pan, melt the butter and peanut butter together over medium heat, stirring until combined.
Step 2: Add in 5 cups of mini marshmallows, set the remaining cup aside for later.
Stir the mixture until the marshmallows have melted completely. Stir the marshmallows constantly while melting them.
Step 3: Remove from the heat. Add in the rice krispies and stir to coat them in the peanut butter mixture. Add in the remaining marshmallows and finally the chocolate chips, try to do this step quickly!
Step 4: Transfer to the prepared pan and use the back of a rubber spatula to flatten the mixture. Let cool completely before slicing.
FAQs and Expert Tips
Yes, feel free to swap in almond butter if you prefer!
They can get too hard if you’ve overcooked the melted marshmallows or if you’ve used stale marshmallows and rice krispies.
Yes you can! It will slightly change the texture of the rice krispie treats so keep that in mind.
You definitely can, just note that they might take longer to melt.
- If using a 9x9 pan instead of an 8x8, just note that the bars will be slightly thinner.
- Make sure to work quickly as the treats do start setting rapidly!
- Coat the cereal completely in the peanut butter mixture before transferring to the prepared baking dish, otherwise the treats might not set properly.
- Make these dairy free by using vegan chocolate chips and vegan butter!
Storage and Freezing Instructions
Once completely cool, slice the chocolate peanut butter rice krispies into 12 bars. Keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
You can also place the squares in a freezer safe container for up to 2 months, allowing them to thaw at room temperature when ready to enjoy.
More Marshmallow Recipes You'll Love
If you make this recipe, let me know how it went in the comments below, I’d love to hear from you! You can also tag me on Instagram or Facebook so I can check it out!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispies
- 1 large pot
- ⅓ cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup butter (regular or dairy free)
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 6 cups mini marshmallows, seperated
- ½ cup mini semisweet chocolate chips (regular or vegan), plus more for sprinkling on top
- Lightly grease a 8x8 or 9x9 square pan and set aside. Melt butter and peanut butter in large pan over medium heat, stir until combined.
- Add in 5 cups mini marshmallows, leaving 1 cup aside for later. Stir the mixture until the marshmallows have melted into the butter and peanut butter completely.
- Remove from heat. Add in rice krispies and give them a quick stir to coat them in peanut butter. Add in the remaining marshmallows, then stir in the chocolate chips last.
- Transfer to the prepared pan and use the back of a spatula to firmly flatten the mixture into the pan. Let cool and set completely before slicing.
The calorie information provided for this recipe is an estimate. The accuracy of the calories listed is not guaranteed.
My kids love Rice Krispie treats, what a great twist! I will definitely be making these again.
Hi Trevor! So glad to hear that the kids loved these! Thanks for the review!
These are delicious! so good
Hi Casey! I am so happy you love them!