This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This strawberry banana milkshake is cold, creamy, and fruity! It's ready in 4 minutes, and has just 4 ingredients. It can be made using fresh or frozen fruit and can be made vegan or with dairy ingredients!
This strawberry banana milkshake is a classic recipe that is both nostalgic and timeless. It's an easy treat that feels extra special while using really simple ingredients.
This dairy free milkshake, along with this mango milkshake have been on repeat for me all summer as a way to cool down on those days where it's just too hot to turn on the oven. I just love how easy it is to whip up!
Why This Strawberry Banana Milkshake Works
- This recipe has just 4 ingredients, and is ready in under 4 minutes!
- You can use fresh or frozen fruit for this recipe, which means it can easily be made year round.
- This milkshake can easily be made healthier by leaving out the ice cream.
- This shake is egg free, soy free, vegetarian, gluten free, and nut free, and can be made as a dairy free milkshake or with dairy ingredients.
- You can top this milkshake with more vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, strawberry sauce, or chocolate sauce - or enjoy it as is!
- This recipe makes enough for two strawberry banana milkshakes, but you can easily divide the ingredients in half to make just one or double it to make milkshakes for everyone!
- Bananas: I like to use fresh bananas for a thinner consistency. Frozen bananas work great too but will make the milkshake thicker, like a smoothie.
- Strawberries: You can use use fresh or frozen strawberries.
- Milk: You can use any kind of milk in this recipe - dairy milk or your dairy free milk of choice works great.
- Ice Cream: You can use regular vanilla ice cream or use your favorite vegan vanilla ice cream. You could also make it with strawberry ice cream for extra strawberry flavor. If you'd like to make a healthier version of this milkshake, you can use frozen yogurt, regular yogurt, greek yogurt, or your vegan yogurt of choice. You can also leave out the ice cream entirely and add a little more milk.
Step By Step Instructions
Note: Full ingredient measurements and instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
This recipe is super easy, there are only two steps to it:
STEP TWO: Blend and top with whipped cream or more ice cream if desired!
FAQS and Expert Tips
They are actually quite similar, but a milkshake is a drink made with ice cream. It typically has a thinner consistency, and is topped with whipped cream and enjoyed as a dessert.
Smoothies are often made with just fruit, milk, and sometimes yogurt and other add-ins. They tend to be thicker and creamier (I sometimes eat smoothies with a spoon) and can be enjoyed as a healthy breakfast.
This recipe can be easily made as either a milkshake or a smoothie with just a few ingredient swaps!
This milkshake can easily be made dairy free and vegan! It's been tested with vegan milk and vegan ice cream, as well as regular dairy milk and ice cream.
Because it's made with ice cream, I wouldn't consider it healthy. However, all the other ingredients in the shake are healthy, so you can just leave out the ice cream and even sweeten the milkshake with some maple syrup if you'd like.
My favorite dairy free milk to use in milkshakes is oat milk, because it's extra creamy. This milkshake has been tested with regular cows milk, almond milk, and soy milk as well. You can use any milk you'd like for this milkshake though!
Sure! You can also swap out the strawberries for fresh raspberries.
- Add extra milk or ice cream to adjust consistency - To make the milkshake thicker, slowly add in the milk until it's the consistency you want it to be. If the milkshake needs more milk, add more! You can also add more ice cream to thicken the shake (this will also sweeten it).
- Use a high powdered blender if you can- a high powered blender will just make your life a bit easier when achieving that smooth consistency. If you don't have a high powered blender, I recommend slicing up the bananas and strawberries before adding them to the blender to make it easier to break them up.
- Taste and adjust - if you think the shake needs more strawberry flavor, add in more strawberries. If you want it sweeter, add more ice cream or even a teaspoon of sugar or strawberry syrup. Using a sweetened vegan milk will also make the milkshake sweeter than using an unsweetened vegan milk.
Storage and Freezing Instructions
This milkshake is best enjoyed fresh as soon as it's made.
MORE RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
Pin it for later!
Strawberry Banana Milkshake
- ¾-1¼ cup milk (regular or vegan)
- ½ cup vanilla ice cream or vanilla frozen yogurt (regular or vegan)
- 1 large banana (fresh or frozen)
- 1½ cups strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- This recipe makes 2 milkshakes. If making for one, divide the ingredients in half. Add ice cream, strawberries, diced banana, and milk to a blender then blend until smooth. Depending on your blender, you may need to add more milk if the milkshake seems too thick. You can also slice the fruit into smaller pieces if you don't have a high powered blender.
- Divide the milkshake between two glasses. Top with whipped cream or another scoop of ice cream if desired, and enjoy!
The calorie information provided for this recipe is an estimate. The accuracy of the calories listed is not guaranteed.