This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This creamy coconut milkshake is the perfect cold and refreshing summer treat! Made with just 3 ingredients, this coconut shake is egg free, gluten free, and can easily be made dairy free or with regular dairy ingredients. Plus, it only takes 5 minutes to make!
Sometimes it’s just too hot to turn on that oven, so I turn to refreshing and cooling shakes like my mango milkshake or my strawberry banana milkshake .
Just like those recipes, this coconut shake only needs a few ingredients and you can whip it up in just a few minutes!
I love that I can make this coconut milkshake completely vegan! Just swap out coconut ice cream for vegan ice cream.
I also love topping it with homemade coconut whipped cream to get that intense coconut flavor .
Why You'll Love This Coconut Milkshake
- This recipe only needs 3 ingredients! I’ve got a few extras that I recommend to bring your milkshake to the next level.
- To make your milkshake extra thick, use canned coconut cream or chill canned coconut milk overnight. Using a frozen banana versus a fresh banana will also thicken up the shake.
- This recipe makes enough for 2 milkshakes, but feel free to halve the recipe if you’re making it just for 1 or double the recipe for 4!
- This milkshake is egg free, gluten free, and can be made dairy free and vegan with just a few ingredient substitutions.
- Canned Coconut Cream: using canned coconut cream will make your milkshake much creamier and thicker. You can also use canned coconut milk, but I suggest chilling it overnight in the fridge to help thicken it up.
- Coconut Ice Cream: I love using coconut ice cream to amp up that coconut flavor, but you could also use vanilla ice cream. Just note, the coconut flavor won’t be as strong! You can also use frozen yogurt if you prefer. Feel free to use vegan or dairy free ice cream!
- Banana: using a frozen banana will make your milkshake thicker and creamier. Be sure to slice up your banana before freezing if you think your blender will have trouble blending a whole banana! You can also use a fresh banana if you don’t have any frozen ones. The banana flavor in this milkshake is very subtle.
Step By Step Instructions
Note: Full ingredient measurements and instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Step One: Add the coconut cream, coconut ice cream and frozen banana to your blender.
Step Two: Blend until the milkshake is completely smooth. If it isn’t thick enough, you can add more ice cream.
Step Three: Pour into a glass and top with homemade coconut whipped cream and coconut flakes. Enjoy!
FAQs and Expert Tips
I wouldn’t say milkshakes are healthy because they have an ice cream base. If you want to make it a bit healthier you can swap out ice cream for frozen yogurt!
Yes! Just swap out regular ice cream for vegan ice cream.
What can I top this milkshake with?
Top the milkshake with store bought or homemade coconut whipped cream and toasted coconut flakes. To toast coconut flakes, place the coconut flakes in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes at 350°Fahrenheit until they’re golden and toasted. Make sure to keep a close eye on them so they don’t burn!
- Use a high powered blender - using a high powered blender is going to give you an extra smooth milkshake! If you’re adding frozen bananas to the milkshake then you really need to be using a high powered blender or your milkshake won’t be smooth. I also recommend slicing the banana up before freezing to help with blending it.
- Add more ice cream - if you want to make your milkshake thicker and creamier, add more ice cream to the blender.
- Add Ice - is it an extra hot day? Add ¼ - ⅓ cup of ice to the blender to make your coconut milkshake super cold! It can slightly water down the milkshake though.
- Making a milkshake for 1 - halve the ingredients if you want to make the milkshake just for 1 person.
Storage and Freezing Instructions
Because of the ice cream, this milkshake is best enjoyed fresh.
More Drink Recipes You'll Love
If you make this recipe, let me know how it went in the comments below, I’d love to hear from you! You can also tag me on Instagram or Facebook so I can check it out!
- High powered blender
- ½ cup canned coconut cream
- 1½ cup coconut ice cream (or vanilla ice cream) (regular or vegan)
- 1 frozen banana SEE NOTES
- toasted coconut flakes for topping (optional)
- coconut whipped cream (optional)
- Add canned coconut cream, ice cream, and frozen banana to a high powered blender.
- Blend until smooth, adding more milk if needed. Sprinkle with coconut flakes and top with coconut whipped cream if desired!
The calorie information provided for this recipe is an estimate. The accuracy of the calories listed is not guaranteed.
I had some left over canned coconut cream so I whipped this up and it was so refreshing! Perfect for this heat wave!
Hi Mabel! I'mm so happy you loved the recipe! Thanks so much for the review!