This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
If you’re lucky, these Lucky Charms cookies are what you’ll find at the end of the rainbow! These easy St. Patrick’s Day cookies are magically delicious, loaded up with Lucky Charms, ready in 20 minutes, and there's no dough chilling required!
These Lucky Charms cookies use my all time favorite cookie dough base (the one I use for my classic chocolate chip cookies), so you know you’re getting a buttery cookie with a soft middle and crisp edges.
These Lucky Charm cookies are perfect for St. Patrick’s Day, but honestly they’re so fun and delicious there's no reason not to make them year-round!
Why You'll Love These Lucky Charms Cookies
- These Lucky Charm cookies only take 10 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to bake!
- You don’t have to chill the dough before baking, so they’re perfect for when you want a sweet treat right away.
- You can easily make these cookies dairy free by using dairy free butter.
- This is a really fun recipe to make with kids for St. Patrick’s Day!
- Butter: feel free to use regular butter or you can use dairy free butter or room temperature coconut oil if you’re dairy-free.
- Flour: I’ve tested this recipe with all purpose flour.
- Lucky Charms Marshmallows: you’ll want to use only the marshmallows from the box of Lucky Charms cereal. Some places actually sell entire bags of lucky charms marshmallows on their own!
- Sugar: because this cookie base is similar to a chocolate chip cookie and not a sugar cookie, we’re using both white sugar and light brown sugar.
Step By Step Instructions
Note: Full ingredient measurements and instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350°Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand held mixer, combine the butter with the granulated sugar and light brown sugar until light and fluffy.
Step 2: Add in the egg and vanilla extract and combine once more. You might need to scrape down the sides of the bowl so everything is getting mixed!
Step 3: Stir in the dry ingredients and mix until a dough begins to form, then stir in the lucky charms marshmallows.
Step 4: Using a medium cookie scoop, or a tablespoon, scoop out 1 ½ tablespoons of cookie dough.
Place on the baking sheet so they’re 3-4 inches apart.
Bake the cookies for 8-11 minutes, then let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
FAQs and Expert Tips
You can add ½ cup of white chocolate chips at the same time that you add the marshmallows! Just note that it will make the cookies sweeter.
I’ve only used the marshmallows in this lucky charms cookie recipe, so you will have to pick the cereal out! At some store you can buy bags of just the marshmallows though.
The number one reason your cookies aren't soft and chewy is adding too much flour! It's so important to measure your flour correctly because it's so easy to add too much. Also make sure not to over-bake the cookies!
- Measuring Flour: It’s so important to measure your flour properly, I recommend using a weighing scale. If you don’t have a scale then you should spoon and level the flour. Adding too much flour will lead to dry or cakey cookies!
- Bakery Style Cookies: To get that bakery style look, I recommend keeping a few marshmallows to the side. Right before baking, gently press some extra marshmallows on top of each ball of cookie dough!
- Under-baking the cookies: The key to soft cookies is to not over-bake them! The edges should look set, but the tops of the cookies will look a little under-baked. The cookies will continue to bake on the baking sheet so that's okay! If the cookies are golden brown, then they have been over-baked.
Storage and Freezing Instructions
Store the baked Lucky Charms cookies in an airtight container for up to 6 days at room temperature. You can freeze the baked cookies by placing them in an airtight freezer bag for up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature when you’re ready to enjoy!
More Recipes You'll Love
Lucky Charms Cookies
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cup +2 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Lucky Charms marshmallows
- Preheat your oven to 350°Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a hand held mixer, combine the butter with the granulated sugar and light brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and combine once more. You might need to scrape down the sides of the bowl so everything is getting mixed!
- Stir in the dry ingredients and mix until a dough begins to form, then stir in the lucky charms marshmallows.
The calorie information provided for this recipe is an estimate. The accuracy of the calories listed is not guaranteed.