This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This healthy french toast recipe makes the ultimate nourishing breakfast! It requires just 3 main ingredients and you can whip it up in 10 minutes. It’s perfect for meal prep too!
I am always up for a breakfast recipe that I can prepare beforehand, so I’ve always got healthy breakfast options on hand. Whether it’s my vegan baked oats or this dairy free french toast recipe, I love having delicious options for breakfast all week long!
This healthy french toast can easily be customized, I love topping mine with homemade coconut whipped cream and sliced berries!
Why You'll Love This Healthy French Toast
- You only need 3 basic ingredients to make this recipe! I’ve got an extra 2 ingredients you can add if you’re looking for a little extra flavor.
- This healthy french toast can easily be made dairy free, perfect for those with allergies!
- This is the perfect meal prep breakfast recipe. I used to make a double batch of this every week to take to the office at my old job!
- It only takes 10 minutes to prepare and it’s freezer friendly!
- It’s so easy to customize to your tastes. I’ve got a whole list of toppings that you can add!
- Milk: you can use any type of milk here, including dairy free milk or skimmed milk.
- Bread: you can use any type of healthy whole wheat bread in this healthy french toast recipe. I like to use sprouted wheat bread! If you use a thicker bread it will soak up more of the egg custard mixture, so you might need to add more milk.
- Vanilla Extract: this is optional but I think it adds a really nice flavor to your french toast!
- Cinnamon: totally optional too but I think it enhances the flavor. You could also use a pinch of nutmeg!
Step By Step Instructions
Note: Full ingredient measurements and instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Step 1: In a large and shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract (if using).
Step 2: Place the slices of bread one at a time in the bowl, allowing the bread slice to soak up the mixture for a few seconds. Flip the bread to soak the other side.
Step 3: Spray a large skillet or griddle with cooking oil. Alternatively, add a small amount of butter or coconut oil to the pan. Heat the pan on medium heat.
Step 4: Add the soaked slices of bread to the heated pan and cook for 2-4 minutes on each side. They should be lightly golden.
Step 5: Add your toppings of choice and enjoy!
Toppings For Healthy French Toast
Here is a list of some of my favorite toppings for french toast!
- Spreads: use tahini, peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter, vegan chocolate hazelnut spread or any other nut or seed butter!
- Jams: I love adding a dollop of jam on top of my french toast.
- Nuts & Seeds: amp up the omega-3’s by adding seeds and nuts like walnuts, pumpkin seeds, flaxseed, hemp seeds, chia seeds, or hazelnuts.
- Fruit: slice up some bananas or chop up some berries to add on top! I also love zesting an orange on top of my dairy free french toast!
Other Toppings: drizzle some maple syrup, agave or honey just before serving! I also love topping this french toast with homemade coconut whipped cream or your yogurt of choice.
FAQs and Expert Tips
This dairy free french toast recipe is lighter than a traditional french toast as we’re using whole wheat, multigrain, or sprouted wheat bread. Plus, there isn’t any added sugar and you can add good-for-you toppings like fruit, seeds or yogurt!
I recommend using sprouted wheat bread (like Ezekiel bread), whole wheat, or rye. Just note that if you are using a thicker bread then it will soak up more of the egg mixture, so you may need to add more milk.
If you follow a gluten free diet or are sensitive to gluten, then just use a gluten free bread!
Only dip each side of the bread into the custard mixture for a few seconds on each side. If you leave it for too long it might soak up too much of the mixture and end up soggy.
- I recommend cooking this over medium to medium-low heat, if you use high heat you might burn the french toast! By cooking the french toast slices over medium heat you will get that perfect golden brown finish.
- For cooking the french toast you can use a cooking spray, or feel free to use coconut oil or butter.
- If you use a thicker bread like texas style bread or brioche bread, just note that you may need to add more milk to the mixture as it will soak up more of the egg mixture.
- Upgrade your french toast by adding fun toppings! They really make all the difference to your breakfast.
Storage and Freezing Instructions
Store the french toast in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can reheat the french toast in a toaster, oven or microwave.
Freeze the french toast in a single layer in an airtight container for up to a month. You can microwave it from frozen, or let it thaw overnight in the fridge when ready to eat, then reheat in the microwave.
More Breakfast Recipes You'll Love
If you make this recipe, let me know how it went in the comments below, I’d love to hear from you! You can also tag me on Instagram or Facebook so I can check it out!
Healthy French Toast
- Large, shallow bowl
- Large non-stick pan or griddle
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup milk of choice (dairy free or regular)
- 8 slices bread of choice (like whole wheat or sprouted grain)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- In a large, shallow bowl, use a fork or whisk to combine milk, eggs, and cinnamon and vanilla (if using).
- Place the bread slices one (or two, depending on the size of your bowl) at a time into the egg mixture, letting the mixture soak for a few seconds. Flip the bread to soak the other side. If required, slowly add 2 tablespoons more milk to the mixture if it looks like you won't have enough for 8 slices.
- Spray a large skillet or griddle with cooking oil, or add a small amount of butter or coconut oil into the pan. Heat the pan on medium heat.
- Add the soaked slices of bread to the pan, then cook for 2-4 minutes on each side, until slightly golden.
- Add toppings of choice and enjoy!
The calorie information provided for this recipe is an estimate. The accuracy of the calories listed is not guaranteed.
This truly is delicious!
Hi Linda! I'm so happy to hear that you loved the recipe!!