This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
These dairy free sugar cookies are buttery, soft, and chewy with perfectly crisp edges. These easy cookies only have 8 ingredients, there's no chill time, and they're ready in 20 minutes or less!
These soft and chewy sugar cookies are one of my favourite basic cookie recipes. They are almost impossible to mess up AND they are an all-season cookie so you can enjoy them during the holidays or in the heat of summer.
This sugar cookie dough doesn't even need to be chilled, and although it has no dairy butter, the vegan butter gives it that delicious buttery flavor!
Why These Dairy Free Sugar Cookies Work
- These cookies are extremely soft and each bite has a delicious buttery flavor - you'd never even guess that they're dairy free!
- There's no chilling required for this dough, so the whole recipe comes together in 20 minutes or less!
- These cookies are perfect for baking year round! They are great for the holiday season, birthdays, or for when you're just craving sugar cookies!
These easy dairy free sugar cookies only require 8 simple ingredients! A few notes about the ingredients:
- Butter: You can use any kind of dairy free butter here (or even regular dairy butter if you don't follow a dairy free diet). Just be sure to use softened!
- Flour: This recipe calls for all-purpose flour. Be sure to properly measure your flour!
- Sugar: Granulated sugar is key is sugar cookies, and helps give them the slightly crispy edges. Substituting for brown sugar will change the texture and color of the cookies, so this shouldn't be substituted.
Step By Step Instructions
STEP ONE: Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350°F.
STEP THREE: Add in the egg and vanilla extract and cream together until light in colour, scraping the sides of the bowl as you go.
STEP FOUR: Add in the dry ingredients and continue to mix until fully incorporated.
STEP FIVE: Use a medium sized cookie scoop or a spoon to scoop out 1 ½ tablespoon sized balls of dough onto the baking sheets. If you'd like, you can roll the dough in sugar before baking.
STEP SIX: Bake for around 8-11 minutes, or until the edges look set. The middles will look soft. Leave the cookies on the baking tray for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Nope! No chill time required. If you chill this dough, the cookies won't spread enough.
Under-baking is key! If your cookies are over-baked even by a minute, they will likely end up being crispy instead of soft.
Most classic cookie recipes actually don't have milk in them! Some vegan cookies have milk but these don't have any 🙂
- In order to get soft, buttery sugar cookies, it is crucial to properly measure your flour by using a kitchen scale or the scoop and level method. If you scoop the flour with the measuring cup right out of the bag, you will end up with more flour than the recipe calls for.
- It's better to under-bake the cookies than over-bake them! The cookies may look a little underdone, but if the edges are set then take them out! They will continue to set on the baking sheet.
- Don't over-mix your dough. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until the last speck of flour disappears.
Storage and Freezing Instructions
The sugar cookies can be stored in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
To freeze the cookie dough, you can scoop it onto the baking tray then put the tray in the freezer until the dough is firm. Place the semi-frozen balls of dough into a parchment lined container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
You can also freeze the cookies after they have been baked! Just put them in an airtight ziploc freezer bag, then thaw at room temperature when you're ready to eat them.
MORE COOKIE RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cookies
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Soft and Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies
- Oatmeal Cookies
Soft and Chewy Sugar Cookies
- Handheld or Standing Mixer
- Baking Sheets
- 1 cup butter (dairy free or regular), softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2½ cup all-purpose flour SEE NOTES
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, combine butter and sugar, mixing until light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract, and mix until combined and light in colour.
- Mix in the dry ingredients until combined. Do not over-mix!
- Use a cookie scoop or a spoon, scoop 1.5 tablespoon sized balls onto the baking sheets. Be sure to leave at least 4-5 inches between each ball of dough, as the cookies will spread out. If you'd like to roll the dough in sugar before baking, pour a little bit of sugar into a small bowl and roll the dough in it before placing it on the tray.
- Bake one tray at a time for 8-11 minutes, until edges look set. The middles will look soft.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
The calorie information provided for this recipe is an estimate. The accuracy of the calories listed is not guaranteed.