This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
These vegan chocolate chip muffins might be my favorite muffin yet! They’re soft, fluffy and can be made in just one bowl. They’re ready in 25 minutes and they’re freezer friendly so you can make them ahead of time!
These fluffy vegan chocolate chip muffins are based off of my dairy free chocolate chip muffins. After making those muffins, I knew I had to make a vegan version!
I always keep a stash of frozen muffins for breakfast on the go, and these eggless chocolate chip muffins, along with vegan blackberry muffins and vegan zucchini muffins are always stocked up in my freezer!
Why You'll Love These Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins
- No fancy equipment needed, you just need a mixing bowl and a whisk!
- You can make these ahead of time and store them in the freezer, that way you always have a grab and go breakfast or snack at hand.
- These muffins use simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry.
- They’re ready in 25 minutes, so you can easily whip these up any day of the week.
- They’re egg free, dairy free, and can easily be made gluten free too!
- Butter: I used vegan butter for these muffins, but you could also use an equal amount of flavorless oil.
- Flour: I made these muffins with all purpose flour but you can make them gluten free by using gluten free 1-1 all purpose flour with xantham gum. You could also use white whole wheat flour or whole wheat flour, but this will change the texture slightly.
- Vegan Milk: you can use soy milk, almond milk, oat milk, cashew milk or any other vegan milk alternative that you like.
- Vegan Chocolate Chips: I used mini chocolate chips but you could also use regular vegan chocolate chips.
Step By Step Instructions
Note: Full ingredient measurements and instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of this page.
Step One: Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit and spray a muffin pan with baking spray or use muffin liners.
Step Two: Place your vegan butter into a large microwave safe bowl and heat until it has melted. Pour in the remaining wet ingredients and sugar and whisk until smooth.
Step Three: Add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined, then stir in the chocolate chips. Keep a small handful of extra chocolate chips to the side.
Step Four: Fill the muffin liners to the top and sprinkle more chocolate chips and coarse sugar on top if desired. Bake for 15-20 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin should come out clean!
FAQs and Expert Tips
This recipe makes 12 muffins!
Yes! To make them gluten free, use gluten free 1-1 all purpose flour with xantham gum.
Yes, you can use regular butter and regular milk in this recipe, but if you’re looking for a non-vegan version of these muffins check out this chocolate chip muffin recipe instead.
- Properly measure your flour - I highly recommend using a $15 kitchen scale to weigh your dry ingredients (metric measurements are in the recipe card below). If you aren't using a scale, use the scoop and level method. Adding too much flour to the batter will lead to dry muffins!
- To make taller, domed muffins - let the muffin batter rest at room temperature for 30-60 minutes before scooping into the muffin liners. Letting the batter rest will create a more domed muffin!
- Don’t over-mix your muffin batter - stop mixing the batter as soon as you no longer see any specks of flour. Over-mixing will lead to a tough texture.
- Make frozen muffins taste fresh - freeze the muffins once they’re completely cool. When you’re ready to eat one, take it out of the freezer and microwave for 20-30 seconds!
Storage and Freezing Instructions
These vegan chocolate chip muffins can be stored in an airtight container or ziploc bag at room temperature for up to 3 days, but to keep them fresh texture for longer I recommend freezing them.
You can freeze the muffins in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. When you're ready to eat them, simply thaw them at room temperature or pop one in the microwave for 20-30 seconds. If you're microwaving, be sure to eat them right away or they will harden pretty quickly.
More Vegan Recipes You'll Love
Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit and spray a muffin pan with baking spray or use muffin liners.
- Place your vegan butter into a large microwave safe bowl and heat until it has melted. Pour in the remaining wet ingredients and sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined, then stir in the chocolate chips. Keep a small handful of extra chocolate chips to the side.
- Fill the muffin liners to the top and sprinkle more chocolate chips and coarse sugar on top if desired. Bake for 15-20 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin should come out clean!
- Let cool in the tins for 5 minutes then enjoy!
The calorie information provided for this recipe is an estimate. The accuracy of the calories listed is not guaranteed.